Diwali, celebrating our language and culture

The opportunity to share our language and culture at Otahuhu is always available to us.   This is something we love about our school.  We celebrate our diversity AND the many things we have in common.

This particular week we had the opportunity to celebrate Diwali along with our Indian language.  See here how members of our class dressed up and also enjoyed the celebrations of this very special week.

From one of our research sites: Diwali is India’s biggest and most important holiday of the year. The festival gets its name from the row (avali) of clay lamps (deepa) that Indians light outside their homes to symbolize the inner light that protects from spiritual darkness. This festival is as important to Hindus as the Christmas holiday is to Christians.

9 thoughts on “Diwali, celebrating our language and culture

1. Kia Ora that video was really cool & I love your outfits you guys look so pretty in them well done I hope you can make another video soon good job.

Regards Amorangi

2. KIa ora Room 8
    I love your blog post about celebrating our languages and cultures. This blog post reminds me of when Panmure Bridge School did a task for Maori & Tongan language week . Have you tried doing other cultures too?

Kind regards
    Valencia from PBS.

3. Kia ora Room 8 I loved your costumes and the video was so nice and beautiful I hope you and your school.

Regards Dito

4. Kia ora Room 8 from Unique at Panmure Bridge this is a wonderful video! I like how you guys were all dressed up! this reminds me when we did a cook island video! have you guys considered using more people? kind regards-Unique

5. Kia ora Room 8
    I like how you guys are really good at your guys speech. Room 8 you have beautiful voices and were really good at it.

From Rafyel at PBS.

6. Kia ora my name is Sweet-E and I like your video it is so cool. I love it and I love your outfits and I think your school is cool too. I hope you have a good day.

From Sweet-E at PBS.

7. Kia ora OPS congradalations on your graduations i hope everyone there enjoys there new year at OPS thank you for reading my comment (baileigh)

8. talofa lava OPS It looks like you enjoyed your food i hope you had fun and enjoyed your yummy food
    (baileigh) LS1 PBS

9. Kia Ora Room 8 , I like how you celebrated your culture and about diwali. I hope you had fun with your day and be safe !
    From Taisorn